Saturday, January 12, 2019

Sleepyheads and those who have no homes of their own

This morning two of my four-legged family members are sleeping on my bed. This has become a morning habit for my black cat Christopher who is 19 and therefore excused from any criticism as he so ancient, (though he doesn't think so obviously from the way he acts when it's breakfast or supper time, meowing ferociously that I should get his meal ready "right now!") 

Moose - the big lab/mastiff mix that has just joined our wee family is pretending he doesn't know I am watching him, with delight I might add.

He and I have been out in the dark and early morning around 6 or so to complete his morning ablutions before his breakfast... so I bet he feels that he has a right to sleep - on my spot on my bed thank you very much... I can't help but chuckle at him, he is so good-natured.

Here Eleia my calico munchkin tells him to back off.... though he never does anything except snuffle her - an affront to her dignity I guess.

And there will be many other photos of these three throughout the year as they are important members of my family, Moose being the most recent addition.

He was abandoned by some people who didn't want him any more. Thus he was rescued and put up for adoption by a young woman who couldn't keep him but she fostered him and taught him all kinds of things, while she hoped he would be adopted. Those lessons involved important things to a dog that needs a new home - such as walking to heel, coming when called, sleeping in a crate (which he does all night and a few other times when it makes sense to me).

So if you are thinking of finding a new four-legged friend to add to your family, there are many rescue organizations around and I can only suggest please check them out - your local pet store probably has a list of them, and they usually include lab rescues, golden rescues and others that are specific breed rescues. But there are also several who help and provide rescue and relief to dogs that are found homeless, abandoned or abused in other countries...

One such organization that I know of and with a Canadian office in Kingston Ontario that helps Dogs and Cats of the Dominican Republic commonly called DCDR. This group is a stirling example of what can be done when good-hearted and like-minded people in various places and countries join together to help those creatures that have been abandoned or abused. They also accept donations if you feel so inclined. As well - the Humane Societies in all the world's countries provide similar  assistance, and I am the proud volunteer at the one in Northumberland County.

These have been things that I have learned in the past few months: How people help creatures and individuals who need assistance with their four-egged fur-bearers or family members... and has made me want to help by sometimes telling their stories... hope you enjoy them along with the rest of the stories on Primarily Pets...

Have to say it feels good to be back writing again.... and thanks again to those who have patiently suggested that I get at it....and by the way - the giraffes below (another kind of family member for me) have been with me for several years, courtesy of Michael Pocock of the Ironworks Centre in Clarksburg - a gifted sculptor and  friend when I lived in Beaver Valley. Kids seem to love where these creatures move around the property.

No comments:

Post a Comment