Sunday, January 13, 2019

Indoor beauty when the weather is tough - can make the heart sing

One of the things I have been blessed with is not only an appreciation for plants that flower indoors, such as this lovely apricot coloured hibiscus... a gift from a friend of mine... there are two different plants in this bowl, one a soft but alluring red and this apricot. The other blessing is that these flowers all seem to bloom for me year round... how amazing. I am so thankful.

They must be nine or ten years old now. Lots of sun whatever the weather and they do go outside from spring until after the first frost of fall, and lots of fertilizer, a soluble one at least once a month, more if the weather has been gloomy.

And then this is the coral or red.... with some white flies on the buds that will bedevil me over the winter, and early spring... but it's worth it.
 Approaching Christmas I am blessed with two plants in the same dish - from my grandmother and great aunt... reminding me of Christmases past and the fun we all had as children... and my father's delight in the Christmas cactus.... He would be so pleased with this year's bounty.
And there are more:
Three trees with huge eight inches across double pink blooms came inside just before frost and gave me seven to eight blooms a day.
And of course for Christmas again, and still going strong from my son Ben: six potted apricot poinsettias - a colour I have never seen on a poinsettia before.

I am sure you can understand - if you love your gardens the way I do mine - what joy these glorious colours and blossoms bring every day... There are more , but no more room... hope you  too get to enjoy some of nature's beauty inside as well as out every day. It does make my heart sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment