Sunday, November 3, 2013

Insects get ready for winter

Fall is filled with activity - farmers bringing in crops, squirrels and other small rodents harvesting seeds and nuts for a winter hoard. Insects also have autumn activities. And a few weeks ago out on my new-to-me deck, I was privileged to watch and tape a couple which I loved. Thought I'd share them with you as you might enjoy them too. The one above with that l really found funny is  of a Banded Tussock Moth or Pale Tussock Moth caterpillar. 

I had already halted an earlier foray into a crack between the deck boards, and wasn't too surprised when it kept on searching for a place to spend the winter. I loved the way it humped along, rhythmical and almost musical. Made me chuckle.


This one contains one of the many wasps and hornets that used this south side of the house and my hibiscus as places to lay eggs for next spring and also gather pollen and nectar. The meticulous search of this wasp - a yellow jacket  - and the patience it exhibited as it went to all parts of the flower and then on to the next were fascinating.

Hope you can view these videos of nature at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment