Saturday, November 2, 2013

Lunch for waxwings

Working away in my new den recently I glanced out the window - something I do a lot. Just to the right of the window is an ancient cedar tree - well really a tiny bunch of cedars and it was alive with activity.

A huge flock of cedar waxwings had been hanging about eating the soft seeds inside the Manitoba maple and ash trees that had retained their "keys."

They quickly discovered the cedar trees and proceeded to put on quite a show.


I hope that this video plays for you and that you enjoy it. It was fun to hear these birds and to watch their antics over the day as they ate wild grapes, seeds and other berries.

There appear to be many birds that often go south spending time in the trees and bush along the edge of the lake. The swamp at the bottom of the tiny hill my new home sits on, attracts all kinds of wildlife and I expect the rest of the fall and winter will be very interesting.

Here's to a great couple of seasons.
Sun setting into Rice Lake, creating a shimmering orange path along the water.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this video almost as much as I love waxwings. Looks like you are settling into your new surroundings! Hope you like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill - it was so much fun watching them and trying to capture the frenetic energy. I'd seen them at a distance in the top of a Manitoba maple and their calls were new to me... don't think I'd heard them singing or calling before... and when they came so close to the house it was a treat.
      There is lots to enjoy in this beautiful part of the province, the rolling hills give a different image at every turn of the road, and along the lake shore, packed with little cottages of fishermen from the 30s and 40s as well as the newer larger homes, it's quite charming... not fond of the guns though - every morning and evening people out hunting... ducks and geese I think, and deer now by the sound of the rifles this morning. Usually it's shot guns... but yes you're right - there is lots to enjoy. Seeing family and old friends more often being one of them... thanks for stopping by.

      Delete