Thursday, November 11, 2010

Leave me alone!

Driving back from town the other day I saw this huge red-tailed hawk in a tree at the side of the road. I take my camera with me everywhere I go these days and I'd been searching for a hawk - I've seen several, but not with camera in hand.

Aha - I thought - I found one! But this huge red-tail had other ideas. As soon as I got out of the car it took off - didn't go far, about 50 yards and up a long drive...where it perched on top of the hydro pole. From where I stood by the car I took this shot. But then I got back in the car and slowly,carefully manoeuvered my way up the rutted drive.

When I stopped, immediately the hawk swooped low over the field headed down the hill and away from me - hesitated at the next hydro pole and decided to go on to the barnyard where there were obviously better pickings and no nosy woman with a camera following. It obviously wanted to be left alone to hunt.

The head of this bird was a glossy bronze and when it flew - the tail shone copper - I so wish I could have captured that kind of picture - Maybe I need to get out my old SLR...all the better to capture those who want to be left alone or who are way to fast for my impatient tracking methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment