Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Not only bees gather nectar

Out walking yesterday I noticed a very tiny bee with its panniers full of pollen. I couldn't imagine it trying to fly. I ran back to get my camera.

Of course the bee was gone, but on the same roseate dogwood, I found this colony of ants busily working over one of the many lovely collections of starry white flowers. In some cases they have appear to have stripped away the petals to get at the nectar. However that may just be that the blossoms are nearly spent anyway and petals have dropped.

And on another stem of the same bush I found this:

These two huge ants running all over the leaf, and then onto another. Do you think they missed the turn?

I know ants lay down a pattern to tell others where to look and goodness knows I have tons of huge ant hills some  a foot or more high and the same wide so there must be lots of ant highways on this property. But it was another one of those amusing things I'm finding in the natural world these days.

Lost ants.

The mind boggles.

I tried to photograph a similar little bee to the one I'd found which prompted the photography expedition in the first place, but I couldn't for the life of me find the right focal length and every picture blurred. Oh well, next time.

Hope you get it right the first time today! And if not, that you can chuckle over it or at least smile as I did over the ants that took the wrong turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment