Saturday, January 8, 2011

Friends

As you know by now animals are my world. In searching through some old photos for a story today I came across this photo of a colt that lived in the field next to me many years ago and one of the nine puppies that my rescued black lab had presented to me that year.

It struck me as a particularly moving image - showing how young animals don't seem to know fear unless taught. There was no threat from either of these two youngsters and the nearby mothers obviously felt none either.

Made me think of an interview I heard recently with Oscar Hammerstein - that great American lyricist and producer of so many fine Broadway shows in which he recited the lyrics from a song in one of his early works - South Pacific..."You've got to be carefully taught..."  - to hate, to fear and to be negative, as well as to love, be courageous and positive.

Would that people in the world we live in today learned more from what these baby animals demonstrate than from some of the stuff that appears in all our media these days.

That said, there are many instances of  joy around the world that we can celebrate. Hope you have something wonderful, big or small in your life to celebrate today!

3 comments:

  1. Nice post, Barbara! I love the photo. Labs are one of my favorite dogs. I have a Golden Retriever now. Your blog is great and I'll be stopping by to visit, I am an animal lover too. BTW, thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the trip down memory lane with you. I can't wait to see what other gems you find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind words from you Eileen and you Mindy. Thanks so much. Always enjoy your blogs as well!

    ReplyDelete