Friday, November 5, 2010

A river runs through it

The Sydenham River, rushes towards Georgian Bay down through a valley.

The river starts down a huge pitch, strewn with boulders, rocks, tree limbs and assorted detritus.


Inglis Falls - named after the Inglis family that stopped the Sydenham River with a dam to power the family grist mill in 1834. They ran the mill until the early 1900s and then another family took over, continuing with the mill until 1945 when it burned to the ground. The only remains are two huge grinding mill wheels.

It strikes me that all this water power - and believe me it is awe-inspiring when you stand close to it - should be harnessed once again to provide hydro-electric power to the small city of Owen Sound. Electriciy costs rise with the cost of oil. But so far, this beautiful falls and river are part of a conservation area that people enjoy.

Back in the 1990s when I worked as  location manager for film and television, I brought the very popular day-time drama (read "soap opera") All My Children to Inglis Falls for a "location shoot." The cast and crew really worked hard battling the river and provided very real excitement for the small screen. The city folk were fascinated. I've never forgotten the experience.

And I am still overwhelmed by the power and the beauty of this small corner of the world.




1 comment:

  1. Wow what great stories you must have!!!

    Beautiful waterfall, I love water photos especially waterfalls! There is such beauty in their natural form and power!

    ReplyDelete